Ahsan Manzil
Sixty Dome Mosque
Lalbagh Fort
Pharpur
Kantajew Temple
Fatikchhari
Tajhat Rajbari
Puthia
Panama City

Paharpur Buddhist Vihara

Pic-04According to the Bengali Vocabulary, the name Paharpur (Pahar = hill, pur = locality) means a locality of hill. It is a village in Badalgachi Upazila of Naogaon District. The nearest railway station of Jamalganj that lies on the Khulna-Parvatipur rail tract and is connected with Paharpur by a 5km long brick metalled bye-way. Paharpur can also be reached from its nearest airport, Sayedpur, following a metalled road via Joypurhat. The village contains the ruins of a Buddhist monastery which was called Somapura Mahavihara (the great monastery situated in the locality of moon) in the ancient Buddhist World. It is now a World Cultural Heritage (BGD. 292).

Location: Paharpur Bihar Museum, Naogaon

How to go:

There are luxurious Coach services from Dhaka to Naogaon.it takes about 5 hours to reach Naogaon and there are several Vehicles like Rickshaw, Cng, buses and auto rickshaws are available from there to go Paharpur.

Mainamati

mainamati14It is a hilly terrain with an average height of 15m in the district of Comilla. It stands in a north-south alignment with its length extending over 17km and average breadth 2.5km. At the different points of its slope there lie a number of older structural ruins pertaining to temple, stupa and vihara. Along with these ruins some tools made of fossilized wood (could be of pre-historic origin), both Hindu and Buddhist sculptures, metallic coins, objects of daily use, terracotta plaques, carved bricks, ornaments, potteries, metallic utensils, seals and ceilings, copper plates etc. have also been salvaged. On stylistic ground they may be dated in the circa 7th-13th century AD. Scholars are of opinion that there lie the ruins of a southeastern Bengali capital, ‘Devaparvata’ by name, in a corner of the hill range. There was another capital called ‘Jaykarmantavasaka’ in an adjoining corner of the Mainamati-Lalmai Hill Range. There has an archaeological museum and a rest house in Salvana village which occupies the mid-most point of Mainamati-Lalmai Hill Range.

One can start the journey for Mainamati- Lalmai by any kind of vehicle from Comilla Railway Station.

How to go:

It is very easy to access this place. It’s just a kilometer away from the Moynamoti War Cemetery. If you are not familiar with the cemetery, then consider the Comilla Cantonment.  If you come from Dhaka, then drop at the cantonment gate from the bus. From there you take a rickshaw to go to there.

Kantajew Temple

Kantaji_Temple_

This fabulously embellished temple situated about 19.32km north of Dinajpur town. Maharaja Pran Nath built it in 1752. It was originally a Navaratna (nine- towered) temple. Every inch of its surface is lavishly decorated with different scenes as described in the two Hindu Great Epics, various Hindu divinities, contemporary social life and floral cum geometric motifs.

One can start his journey for the monument from Dinajpur town or Sayedpur Airport by any kind of motorized vehicle.

How to go

The temple is about a 1 mile west of Dinajpur-Thakurgaon Highway across the Dhepa River. Various types of communications like Bus, Motor bike and Rickshaw van can get you there within hours from the Town. You have to get off the bus at the Place called ‘Kantanagar’, if you choose to walk and enjoy the country atmosphere. However the journey will be a little lengthy, if you go there by Auto rickshaw.

Accomodation

Dinajpur has some economy accommodation for your stay, just you need a booking before the start. There are two types of accommodations are: government rest houses situated at different locations across the town, while privately held are enough and affordable for you. Circuit House(teleph. 0531-63112), located west of Bara Maidan is handled by the District Authority, while Parajatan Motel(teleph. 0531-64710)located at New town Housing, is a bit expensive for ordinary travelers, however the facilities are much better than others. Ram Sagar Rest house (telph. 0531-65558) located 6km south of the town at Ram Sagar tank will be an awesome place for nature lovers, but no food is available there. You will have to arrange by yourself. Privately held Diamond Hotel(telepone.0531-64629) is renowned for its wide accommodation facilities. There are two hotels( Diamond 1, Diamond 2)under the same name, facing one another, located at Maldapatty in Dinajpur town. They have their own food facilities available near them at Bashuniapatty, 1 minute of walk away. Hotel Sonar Tari(teleph.+8801716018995) at Modern More, Ganeshtala, Hotel Unique (+8801736335264) at Nimatala, New Hotel (0531-64155) and Hotel Konica (+880181829572) at Station Road in Dinajpur are also some notable hotels for your stay. Excluding these 3 pre historic sites, there are still many other points of archeological interests located in the Northern part of Bangladesh.

Sitakot Vihara

Sitakot ViharaSituated in village Fatehpur Maras under Nowabgonj thana of Dinajpur District, the site has yielded the impoverished remains of a brick-built Buddhist monastery. It is medium in size, roughly 65.5m each side, and has yielded a number of movable antiquities, i.e. bronze sculptural pieces of Mahayana origin, iron dagger, terracotta net-sinker, terracotta cone, carved brick, potteries of early medieval origin etc.. On ground of style they are datable to the circa 7th-8th century AD.

To reach at the site one can start his journey from Dinajpur zero point by any kind of motorized vehicle comfortably.

Mahasthangarh

Mahasthangarh, BograSituated in village Mahasthan of Bogra district, the extensive site represents the wreckage of an ancient city (cir. 4th cent. Bc to 14th cent called Pundranagara. It is roughly oblong (1.523km by 1.371km) in shape encircled by high rampart with thick brick wall core at places and is entrenched on all sides save the east where the river Karatoya were following in ancient time. Inside the fort, however, still lie the remnants of temples, stupas, mosques, tombs and residential complexes at random. Moreover, a good volume of movable antiquities have also been coins, silver coated copper cast coins barring inscription, roulette ware, NBPW, black slipped ware, black and red ware, beads of semiprecious stone, terracotta plaques and toys, sculptures, objects of daily use and so on. But by far the most important one is a Brahmi Inscriptional slab datable to the 3rd cent BC. Around the fort for about 8km excepting the east suburb, there are many older mounds and reservoirs. There has a small site museum and a rest-house near its northeast corner. A mission of French experts has been working in the site since 1993 in order to reveal its whole unknown past as per an agreement with the Government of Bangladesh.

Location :North Bengal,Bogra.

How to go:

Have to go Bogra first from Dhaka by road, and there are many bus services.

From Bogra town can go to Mahasthangarh by rickshaw, auto-rickshaw or bus.

Lalbagh Fort

lalbagh FortThe capital city Dhaka predominantly was a city of the Mughals. In hundred years of their vigorous rule successive Governors and princely Viceroys who ruled the province, adorned it with many noble monuments in the shape of magnificent palaces, mosques, tombs, fortifications and Katras often surrounded with beautifully laid out gardens and pavillions. Among these, a few have survived the ravages of time, aggressive tropical climate of the land and vandal hands of man.

But the finest specimen of this period is the Aurangabad Fort, commonly known as Lalbagh Fort, which indeed represents the unfulfilled dream of a Mughal Prince. It occupies the south-western part of the old city, overlooking the Buriganga on whose northern bank it stands as a silent sentinel of the old city. Rectangular in plan, it encloses an area of 1082′ by 800′ and in addition to corners and a subsidiary small unpretentious gateway on north, it also contains within its fortified. perimeter a number of splendid monuments, surrounded by attractive garden. These are, a small 3-domed mosque, the mausoleum of Bibi Pari, the reputed daughter of Nawab Shaista Khan and the Hammam and Audience Hall of the Governor. The main purpose of this fort, was to provide a defensive enclosure of the palatial edifices of the interior and as such was a type of palace-fortress rather than a seize-fort.

Location Lalbagh,Old Dhaka

How to Go :

You can visit lalbagh fort very easily through rickshaw or public bus transport with minimum cost of 10-50 BDT from Gulistan Golap Shah Mazar in Dhaka.

Where to stay:

There are many Hotels and Restaurants you will find in Dhaka city as well as Old Dhaka to stay and fooding .

Sonargaon

panam-city-SonargaonPanam City, also known as “the lost city” a historic place & important archaeological site in Bangladesh. Situated in Sonargaon Upazila of Narayanganj District. The structures are older than around 400-500 years. Panam Nagar, The Golden City of Sonargaon, Bangladesh, built blending the Indo-European architectural styles, reflect the socio-economic condition and lifestyle of rich Hindu cloth merchants and the elite class in British colonial period. By the 14th century Sonargaon became a commercial port. Trade activities were mentioned by travelers like Ibn Batuta, Ma Huan and Ralph Fitch. Maritime ships travelled between Sonargaon and southeast/west Asian countries. Muslin / MUSLIN (a loosely-woven cotton fabric – became very popular at the end of the 18th century in France) was produced in this region.

Location: Sonargaon, Narayanganj, Dhaka

How to Go:

You can reach that place using bus from Dhaka(Gulistan). This will take you around 1 hour to reach at the place. You have to get down from the bus at Mograpara Crossing.From the crossing, you have to take a rickshaw, and have to tell the puller to drop you at Sonargaon. This will require 20 taka for the lift.

Where to stay

You should have to come back in Narayanganj city to stay in Residencial Hotel because there are no facilities to stay at night in Sonargaon.There are some Restaurants inside and outside of Sonargaon.

Gorer Mosque, Barabazar, Jhinaidah

gorer mosqueIt is a single domed square mosque with its entrances on the east. It is entirely built of bricks and datable to the 15th century AD.

How to go

From Bogura, take a bus to Mahasthan (approximately 11 km). From Mahathan take a rickshaw or a three wheeler to get to the sights (approximately 1.7 km)

Bus Service Provider

Hanif Enterprise, Phone: 02-9120116, 8114442

Shyamoli Paribahan, Phone: 02-9333803

Train Service Provider

Bangladesh Railway, Phone: 02-9358634, 8315857

Where to Stay

You can stay at Archeological department rest house; the three rooms having a fan and bathroom. And there is also a small dinning room. List of Hotels in Bogra:

Parjatan Motel, Phone: 88-051-67024-7, Fax: 88-051-66753

Safe Way Motel, Phone: 88-051-66087

Hotel Al-Amin, Phone: 88-051-72937

Akboria Abasir, Phone: 88-051-65765

Bagha Mosque, Rajshahi

bagha-mosque

Built in 1523 A.D. by Sultan Nusrat Shah, son of Hussain Shah, it is a richly decorated monument originally roofed over with 10 domes which collapsed long ago but recently rebuilt carefully to their original form. The superb terracotta decoration on the central mihrab represents floral frame work and jali rosettes. The whole outer surface of the mosque is beautifully embellished with fine terracotta art motifs.

One can start his journey for the monument from Rajshahi Railway Station by any kind of motorized vehicle.

Baliati Prasad

Baliati PrasadBaliati Prasad is a palatial complex situated 35km to the northwest of Dhaka city and can be approached by light motorized vehicle from any traffic point of Dhaka. It accommodates a group of five residential buildings enclosed within a walled compound. The face of the compound is on the east and can be entered through four lion-gates. The buildings are built of brick, lime and brick-dust. The general delineation of the buildings speaks of the neo-Indo-European architecture as they are provided with beautiful Corinthian pillar, colored glass ventilation, tile paved floor, marble table, portraits and many other objects of antiquarian interest. The builders of the establishments were the members of a local elite family who lived in the beginning of the last century.

It can be reached from Dhaka by any kind of motorized vehicle following first the road leading to Aricha and then to Saturia via Kalampur transaction.

Bihar and Vasu-Bihar

Bihar-and-Vasu-BiharBihar and Vasu-Bihar are two villages, situated about 4km to the west of Mahasthangarh. The Nagar river passes through the present Bihar village and, on its western bank, there is a very large brick mound, approximately measuring 213.3m × 182.8m. About 1.61km northwest of this place is the Vasu-Bihar village, where there is another considerably large mound, about 9.14m high, locally known as Narapatir Dhap. A little south or this ruined mound lies a large tank known as Jhinjhrailer Dighi. Close to it on the northwest, the ruins of a temple with carved and ornamental bricks is visible, which now bears the name of Sanyasir Bari. Beyond that on further south lies the Susong Dighi or Sasanka Dighi, traditionally known to have been excavated by king Sasanka (606-636 A.D.). Another large ancient brick mound also is visible towards the south of the Bihar village, situated on a large tank.

The famous Chinese pilgrim, Yuan Chwang, in his itinerary has mentioned Po-Shi-Po, the name of a grand monastery situated about 6km west of Pundravardhana (Pan-na-fa-tan-na), which he visited. Cunningham identifies this Po-Shi-Po either with the mound located at Bihar or at Vasu-Bihar. The pilgrim found here ‘a grand monastery remarkable for the size and height of its tower and pavilion. It was occupied by no less than 700 monks who studied the Mahayana; and men famous for their learning flocked here from the eastern districts. At a short distance from the monastery there was a stupa built by Asoka on the site where Buddha explained his laws to the Devas. Near this was a spot where the last Buddha had taken exercise and rested, traces of his foot-marks were still to be seen’.‘Not far from the last place there was a temple containing the statue of Avalokitesvara which manifested its divine powers by prodigies’.

Cunningham identifies the great monastery of Yuan Chwang with the extensive brick mound of the Bihar village itself. The lofty stupa built by Asoka, he thinks, is well represented by the solid brick mound at Vasu Bihar (present Narapatir Dhap), to the east of which is a large tank (present Jhinjhrailer Dighi).

He further identifies the Vihara containing statue of Avalokitesvara with the small ruined temple to the north-west of the Asokan Stupa (present Sanyasir Bari). He describes that ‘It is a small building, only 3.9m ×3.3m inside, but the walls are 1.21m thick and it is surrounded by a wall forming an enclosure 31.69m long from north to south by 19.50m broad. The entrance is on the south towards the stupa. No remains of sculpture could be found, but there were plenty of carved bricks, both in situ in the walls and scattered about the ground. Recent excavation, however, has revealed the derelict relic of a medium size Buddhist monastery at village Bihar and a group of three smaller monasteries at village Vasu-Bihar. They have been dated in the 7th- 10th century A.D.

Idrakpur Fort

11837899125_984c86fdfe_b1This small fortress is situated on the bank of the dried up Ichamoti river at Idrakpur in Munshigonj town. It was built by Mir Jumla, the viceroy of Bengal in 1660 A.D. The special feature of the fort is a huge solid circular platform or drum, with a diameter of 32.91m. The huge platform evidently was used to mount cannon and also as a watch tower.

How to go :
Munshiganj is not so far from Dhaka. If you are willing to travel and explore you can think of visiting Idrakpur Fort. There are some bus services like Dighirpaar Transport and Dhaka Transport going to Munshiganj from Gulisthan Bus Stand. Your destination should be of a place named Muktarpur. After getting down from the bus all you need is to catch a rickshaw to Idrakpur Fort.

 Jorbangla Temple

Jor_Bangla_Temple_3_BishnupurIt resembles two curved Bangali huts joined together from which this highly ornate brick temple derives its name of Jorbangla. Traditionally it was built by one Braja Krori, a ‘Tahsilder under Naweb of Bengal in the 18th century A.D. It stands on a single platform. The constituent of the temple is an anti-chamber and sanctuary. The frontage of the sanctuary is provided with three ornamental arched entrances. Its entrance facade is enriched with terracotta plaques depicting scenes from the Hindu Epic.

One can start his journey for the monument from Pabna Bus Stoppage or Railway Station by any kind of motorized vehicle.

 M.M. Datta Bari

It is a brick built house situated in village Sagardari of Jessore district. It contains three groups of buildings built in the 19th century A.D. by a locally reputed lawyer. But the house is famous since it is the place where the famous Bengali poet Michael Madhusudan Datta.

One can start his journey to visit the site from Jessore airport by any kind of motorized vehicle

Mir Kadim Bridge

It is a chamber type of masonry bridge spanning the Mir Kadim Khal, which connected ‘Jatar Deul’and Abdullapur village of Munshigonj district. Its architectural style clearly points to its erection during the Mughal period for military purpose or to facilitate movement of Traffic. This bridge spans over three arches.

Mughal Eidgah

One of the earliest dated Mughal monuments in Dhaka is the Eidgah, built in 1640 by Mir Abdul Qasim, the Dewan of prince Shah Shuja. A Persian inscription set over the central prayer niche recorded the date of its erection. The screen wall on the west, with a series of mihrabs, has been extensively repaired and the perimeter walls of the remaining wings have been reconstructed in 1988.

One can start his journey for the monument from any part of Dhaka by any kind of motorized vehicle.

Bharat Bhayana , Jessore

The site is known after the name of its village Bharat Bhayana which is in the thana of Kesabpur under Jessore district. The village and its surroundings are dotted with some and sparsely lying architectural pieces. Of them, only one, Bharat Rajar Deul, has yielded the substantial ruins of a brick-built curious structure. It was planned on a cruciform base and endowed with several bind cells above. It shows starkly plain wall surface save some receding offsets at the base level only. The present height of the roof-less structure is about 10 meter at its highest point that appears to have been much more in its original form. The site has also yielded some busts of princely male figures, potteries of early medieval origin etc. On stylistic ground they may be dated in circa 5th-6th century AD.

One can start his journey for Bharat Bhyana from either Khulna Bus Stoppage or Jessore Airport by any kind of motorized vehicle.

Bibi Pari’s Tomb

Architecturally most interesting and unique Mughal building in Dhaka, Bibi Pari’s Tomb is the Mausoleum of Paribibi which was erected in the center of the Lalbagh fort. Tradition attributes that Paribibi was the favorite daughter of Nawab Shaista Khan. The shrine is built of three kind of stones namely- black basalt from Rajmahal, grey and stone. Internally the tomb is symmetrically divided into nine compartments.

Godaibari Dhap

It is a medium size mound situated about 4km to the southwest of Mahasthangarh. In course of a recent digging, the mound has exposed the impoverished structural vestiges of a lost temple datable to the 7th-8th century. Moreover, it has yielded a stone piece bearing some Brahmi inscription. The text, however, has not yet been properly deciphered.

Harish Chandra Raja’s Mound

Situated on the northeast corner of Savar town (18km north of Dhaka metropolitan city), the mound has yielded the substantial ruins of a smaller Buddhist monastery entirely built of brick. In its close north there still exist the ruins of a medium size votive stupa. The site has also exposed some bronze sculptural pieces belonging to Buddhist pantheon, carved bricks, potteries and a silver coin of Pattikera-Harikela origin. It is further to be mentioned here that a number of Imitation Gupta Gold Coins have earlier been reported from the surroundings of Harischandra Rajar Prasada Mound time and again. Moreover, there exist the remains of a mud fort, Kotbari by name, on the northwest of the monastery. It is also to be remembered that remains of a group of votive stupas were also discovered a few years back in a place called Rajasan which is only 150m on the east of the site. Of the promising structural ruins of the neighboring area mention may also be made of ‘Harischandra Rajar Buruj’ that appears to have been a brick-built stupa. On stylistic ground they are datable to circa 6th-8th century AD.

One can start his journey for the site directly from Dhaka by any kind of motorized vehicle.

Muktagacha Palace

MuktagachaIt is an extensive palatial complex sprawling over at least 20 hectors of land. The whole area is full of many ponds, temples, palaces and out buildings. Of them only a part is now being protected by the Department of Archaeology. The protected area is an east facing enclosed precinct studded with gateway, garden, reservoirs, residential complexes, temples and several other ancillary buildings. The architecture of all the buildings simulate Indo-European neo-classic ethic. They were built by different members of the Muktagacha zamindar family in different time. Some are still being used for different purposes. The protected part is called ‘Char Ana’ locally. It may hardly be dated in the early 20th century A.D.

Puthia Palace

Puthia-PalacePuthia is about 28km east of Rajshahi town and is connected to the Rajshahi-Natore highway by a 200m stretch of feeder road towards the south. This derelict but imposing palace faces the ‘Dol-Mancha’ temple across a large meadow to the north presenting a projection on each of its eastern and western ends. Its central part, which is about 15m wide, has an imposing portal in front. The building has two other smaller projections on either end and a further inset at the rear. A 3 meter wide verandah runs along the front of the block and provides access to some large halls behind. The balcony roof is supported on three graceful semi-Corinthian round and fluted columns which reach up to the upper storey. The central part of the building is relieved with a triangular pediment and the parapet is tastefully decorated with floral plasterwork. A broad wooden staircase, which is built into the eastern end of the verandah, provides access to the upper storey. Each projecting end of the edifice is relieved with four semi-Corinthian columns. A bilingual inscription fixed over the portal records its construction in 1895 by Rani Hemanta Kumari Devi. There are to be seen a few more out-buildings in its premise, all being built in the same period.

How to go

Rajshahi – Natore highway, one kilometer south of puthiya bas stand. and only five minutes from the highway. Distance of 34 kilometers by road from the city of Rajshahi.

Where to Stay

At Rajshahi there are Different kind of hotels,those are

1. Hotel Dalas International

Extra Facilities: Boiled Water, Television for Each Room, Car Parking, Attached Bath. Address:

Bindur More, Rail Gate, Rajshahi

Phone: 0721-811470, 0721-773839, Mobile: 0171-802387

2.    HOTEL NICE  International

Address: Ganakpara, Shaheb Bazar (West of P.N Girls High School)  Rajshahi-6100

Phone: 0721-776188, 0721-771808

Fax : 88-0721-775625

Email:  Hotel.nice@yahoo.com

Website Address:  www.hotelnice-raj.com

3.    Hotel  Mukta  International

Address: Ganakpara, Shaheb Bazar, Rajshahi

Phone: 0721-771100, 0721-771200

4.    Hotel  Gulshan

Extra Facilities: Car Parking, Dining, Salon, Attached Bath. Address: Station Road, Rajshahi

Phone: 0721-772592, 0721-772691

Mobile: 0172-197883

5.  Hotel Chez Razzak Service

Address: Padma Housing Estate, Rajshahi

Phone:  0721-762011

Mobile: 01715-772824

6.  Hotel Sukarna International

Extra Facilities: Boiled water, Television,

Telephone, Car Parking, Attached Bath, AC Hall Room Address: Samobai Super Market, Malopara,

Rajshahi Phone: 0721-771817, 770670,

Mobile: 01711-811014, 01717-888853

7.  Hotel Way Home

Address:  New Market Road, Rajshahi. Phone:  0721-812470

Mobile: 01195209874

8.    Haq’s  Inn

Extra Facilities: Boiled water, Television, Car Parking, Attached Bath

Address: Shiroil, Rail Station Road, Rajshahi -6100

Phone: 0721-810420, 0721-810421

Mobile :01715605157

Email:  haqsinn@librabd.net

9.  Hotel  Parjatan Motel

Address: Abdul Mazid Road, Kazihata, Rajshahi ( Near  Zoo  of  Rajshahi ) Phone: 0721-775237

10.   Hotel Mid Town International

Extra Facilities: Boiled water, Television, Telephone, Dining, Attached Bath

Address: Shaheb Bazar (Be side of Zero Point), Rajshahi

Phone: 0721-774961, 0721-811528

Mobile: 0173-704314

11.   Hotel Red Castle

Address: Near Rajshahi College, Rajshahi. Phone: 0721-810046

Mobile : 01714020124

12.   Hotel Classic International

Extra Facilities: Car Parking, Television, Attached Batch Address: Hossain Super Market, Rani

Bazar, Rajshahi Phone: 0721-771313

13.  Hotel Sundarban International

Extra Facilities: Attached Bath, Television

Address: Shiroil Local Bus Station, Shiroil, Rajshahi

Mobile: 0189-821128

14. Hotel Heaven

Extra Facilities: Attached Bath, Television Address: Station Bazar, Shiroil, Rajshahi Phone:

0721-775054, Mobile: 0172-092109

15. Hotel Al-Hera

Extra Facilities: Attached Bath, Television

Address: Rani Bazar, Rajshahi

Phone: 0721-774486

16.  Hotel Hasna Hena

Extra Facilities:

Attached Bath, Television

Address: Shiroil Station, Ghoramara, Rajshahi

Phone: 0721-774565

17.  Hotel Elegant

Extra Facilities: Attached Bath, Television, Prayer Room

Address: Ganakpara, Shaheb Bazar, Rajshahi

Phone: 0721-772103, Mobile: 0171-109633

18.  Hotel Golden Star

Extra Facilities: Attached Bath, Television Address: Shiroil Station, Ghoramar, Rajshahi Mobile:

0176-411403

19.  Hotel City

Extra Facilities: Attached Bath, Television Address: Shiroil Station, Ghoramar, Rajshahi Mobile:

0176-386386

20.  Hotel Rajmohal

Extra Facilities: Attached Bath, Television, Prayer Room

Address: Ganakpara, Shaheb Bazar, Rajshahi

Phone: 0721-774399

21. Hotel Anam

Extra Facilities: Television, Telephone, Attached Bath Address: Anam Plaza, Shaheb Bazar, Malopara,

Rajshahi Phone: 0721-773740, 0721-774764

22.  Hotel Al – Rashid

Extra Facilities: Car Parking, Prayer Room, Television, Attached Bath

Address: Shaheb Bazar, Malopara, Rajshahi

Phone: 0721-775537

23.  Hamidia Grand Hotel

Extra Facilities: Television, Attached Bath

Address: Shaheb Bazar, Rajshahi, Phone: 0721-772930

24.  Hotel Al – Hasib

Extra Facilities: Television, Attached Bath for Each Room Address: Al – Hasib Plaza, Ganakpara,

Shaheb Bazar, Rajshahi Phone: 0721-774399

25.  Hotel Mohanagar

Extra Facilities: Television, Attached Bath for Each Room

Address: Ganakpara, Shaheb Bazar, Rajshahi

Phone: 0721-774399

Mobile: 0172-777480

26.  Hotel Star

Extra Facilities: Television, Attached Bath

Address: Karim Super Market, Shaheb Bazar, Rajshahi

Mobile: 0176-164443, 0176-475639

27.  Hotel Memory

Extra Facilities: Common Bath

Address: Abdul Kader Monjil (First Floor), Ganakpara Shaheb Bazar, Rajshahi

Phone: 0721-774742

28. Hotel Sharna

Extra Facilities: Attached Bath for Each Room, Television Address: Gold hill Complex, Kazi Nazrul

Islam Road Shaheb Bazar, Rajshahi

Mobile: 0171-302388

29.   Hotel Prince

Extra Facilities: Television, Attached Bath

Address: Be side of Bhubon Mohan Park, Malopara, Rajshahi, Phone: 0721-772776,

Mobile: 0171-364164

30.   Hotel Jomjom

Extra Facilities: Television, Attached Bath, Car Parking, Prayer Room

Address: Be side of Bhubon Mohan Park, Malopara, Rajshahi, Phone: 0721-810882,

Mobile: 0171-364164

31.  Hotel Surjomukhi

Extra Facilities: Television, Attached Bath, Car Parking

Address: Be side of Shaheb Bazar Boro Mosjid, Shaheb Bazar, Rajshahi

32.  New Hotel Night House

Extra Facilities: Television, Attached Bath

Address: Malopara, Rajshahi, Phone: 0721-772581

33.  Hotel Rader

Extra Facilities: Television, Attached Bath

Address: Malopara, Rajshahi, Phone: 0721-772834

Salban Vihar, Mainamati – Lalmai

SalbanVihara

It is a large quadrangular monastery with a cruciform central shrine with an elaborate gateway complex on the north. It has 115 monastic cells. According to a terracotta inscribed seal it was built during the Deva King Bhava Deva in the early 8th century A.D. The lower basement of its central temple in relieved with frieze of terracotta plaques depicting scene mostly from the folk life of ancient Bengal.

Atiya Mosque

AtiyaMosqueConstructed in 1609 A.D. by Sayyed Khan Pani, son of Bayazid Khan Pani, the mosque (21m x 12.19m) consists of a single domed square prayer chamber fronted by a verandah covered over by 3 domes. Its cornice is deeply curved and wall surface is relieved with terracotta ornamental panels showing a blending of Mughal and pre-Mughal architectural traits.

It can be approached from the zero point of Tangail town, along the Dhaka-Jamuna Setu, by any means of motorized vehicle.

Shahi Mosque

This elegant three- domed mosque is located to the west of the fort built by prince Azam in 1678 A.D. The architectural decorations, interior and exterior follow the usual Shaista Khan style. One of the most interesting features of this mosque is its fresco design underneath the domes. Besides, the domes are ribbed externally.

Bara Katra

Bara KatraBara Katra an architectural relic of Dhaka city. It is situated to the south of Chawk Bazar close to the bank of the river Buriganga.

Originally, the Katra enclosed a quadrangular courtyard with 22 rooms on all of its four sides. Two gateways were erected, one each on the north and south. The ruins consist of an edifice having a river frontage.

The southern wing of the structure was planned on a grand scale and was marked with an elaborate three-storied gate containing an octagonal central chamber. The remaining portion was two-storied and encased by projected octagonal towers.

The gateway structure is rectangular in plan. It is lofty in height and its fronton is projected towards the river. A tall alcove rising to the second storey reduces the mass of this projection. The wall surface is relieved with panels that are square as well as rectangular and that contain a variety of decorations of four-centered, cusped, horseshoe and flat arches. Above the apex of the alcove open the windows of the third storey. Under the alcove is the main arched entrance which leads to the guardroom. Furthermore, as one passes through two successive archways, one comes across an octagonal domed hall, the ceiling of which is plastered and bears various net-patterns and foliaged designs. The double storied structure resolves on both sides of the central entrance into a row of five vaulted rooms in the ground floor and livingrooms with a continuous corridor on the upper one. Likewise, the upper floors of the entrance are furnished with rooms. The three storyed corner towers are hollow and can be approached from the subsidiary structures. Following the traditional pattern of the caravan-sarai of Central Asia, the Bara Katra was highly fortified and was embellished with all the features of the imperial Mughal style.

The Bara Katra contains two inscriptions in Persian: one records that it was built in 1053 AH (1643-44 AD) and the other contains the date 1055 AH (1645-46 AD) and confirms that SHAH SHUJA gave the building to Mir Abul Qasim to be used as a Katra on the condition that the officials in charge of the endowments (waqf) should not take any rent from any deserving person alighting therein.

It should be noted here that more than half of the Katra building has already been destroyed and the building as a whole is in a dilapidated condition. It could not be taken over by the Department of Archaeology owing to the resistance of its owners. The owners have made several alterations to the original character of the building and have also started construction of a new multi-storied building in the area. Nevertheless, the surviving ruins stand as one of the most important monuments of Bengal. It is perhaps the most magnificent Mughal edifice of Bangladesh which has a monumental central archway.

Chhota Katra

choto-katra-online-dhakaChhota Katra, Dhaka  is situated about around 183 meter east of the bara katra at hakim habibur rahman lane on the bank of the river Buriganga in Mughal (old) Dhaka.

The Katra is rectangular in plan, 101.20 m × 92.05m externally and 81.07m 69.19 m internally. The thickness of the outer walls is 0.91 to 1.00m and the maximum thickness of the bastion walls is 1.22m. It is similar in plan to that of the Bara Katra, but is smaller in size. There are two gateways, one on the north and the other on the south. The southern one is the main entrance. Both the gateways, though much altered recently, are still in situ. In the two outer corners of the south wall of the structure there are two octagonal towers. The structures around the open courtyard have undergone much renovation, reconstruction and repair. Many modern extensions were also added to the original building. The three storied gateway on the river side has assumed some colonial features. The triple windows and the lofty angle towers reflect the colonial influence during subsequent restoration.

The Chhota Katra is believed to have been built by Shaista Khan in about 1664 AD. It is also said that the Katra was constructed to accommodate some officials and also a part of Shaista Khan’s expanding family.

It is evident that the structure has lost much of its original look through indiscriminate alterations and unworthy restoration, though they have given it some durability. The two Katras of Dhaka have not been taken under the protection of the Department of Archaeology, and the specimens of this type of architecture in Bangladesh are on the verge of total extinction.

Musa Khan Mosque

Musa Khan (reigned: 1599-1610) son of Isa Khan was the leader of Bara-Bhuiyans (twelve landlords of medieval Bengal) of the Bhati region. Musa Khan Mosque is located on the western side of the Shahidullah Hall of Dhaka University, and is less than half a km to the south of the Khwaja Shahbaz’s Mosque. A high vaulted plinth with a three-domed mosque above and the grave of Musa Khan to its northeast comprise the mosque complex of Musa Khan.

Nimtali Deury

Nimtoli Deuri or the Nimtoli palace gate is one of the most important Mughal historical buildings used by the Nawab-e-Nazim of Dhaka. It was built in 1765-66.

North Brook Hall

Northbrook Hall (Lalkuthi) was built (1879-1880) as a town hall during the British period. Situated at Farashgonj road in Old Dhaka, on the north bank of the Buriganga River. Northbrook Hall is an Indo-Saracen building, which is a fusion of Mughal architecture and European Renaissance architectural styles.

Choto Sona Masjid

Choto Sona MasjidIt is a remarkably fine architectural specimen of the Sultante Period. It was built by Wali Muhammad son of Ali during the reign of Sultan Hossain Shah (1493-1519). It has fifteen gilded domes including three chauchala domes in the middle row. Chief attractions of the Mosque are its intricate stone carvings and decoration.

Rose Garden

Rose Garden Palace was built by Zamindar Hrikesh Das in the late 19th century. It is situated in Shamibag area at the K.M. Das Lane of Tikutuli, Dhaka. The building has Corinthian columns and has eight apartments including a central hall on its ground floor. There are several classical marble statues in the garden.

Ruplal House

Ruplal House exhibits a fine example of the late Renaissance European architecture introduced during the colonial period. Rooplal House was built by Armenian Jamindar Aratun in 1825. It was bought by Rooplal Das and his brother Roghunath Das in 1835 and renovated in neo-classical style, by hiring Martin and company, an architectural firm of Calcutta.

Bhajahari Lodge

Bhajahari Lodge is a heritage site recognized by the government of Bangladesh. It is located on Tipu Sultan Road, Dhaka. The Saho Banik family built the magnificent Shankhanidhi Lodge, Natmandir, Bhajohari Lodge, and Radha Binod Temple on the Tipu Sultan Road.

Building of Raja Harish Chandra

Raja Harish Chandra – eighteenth century, Majidpur village, Savar, Dhaka. Harish Chandra Raja’s Dhibi a remarkable area consisting of a four-sided monument, with scattered remains of trenches, and walls which seemed to belong to a temple or a Buddha Bihar. another archeological site is here is Harish Chandra’s Courthouse, Rajashan.

Antiquities recovered from the site include turquoise blue glazed ware, silver coin, brick, bronze materials, Stupa and Vihara and inscription.

Goaldi Mosque

Goaldi Mosque is an elegant little pre-Mughal mosque Built in 1519 by Mulla Hizabar Akbar Khan, during the reign of Alauddin Husain Shah at a place called Goaldi, half a mile northeast of Panam village in Sonargaon Upazila of Narayanganj District. Single-domed Goaldi Mosque is a good example of the ‘enclosed square type’ mosque of Sultanate period.

Mausoleum of Ghiyasuddin Azam Shah

Ghiyasuddin Azam Shah (1390-1411 CE) was the third Sultan of the first Iliyas Shahi dynasty of Bengal and one of the more widely known of medieval Sultans of Bengal. Tomb of Ghiyasuddin Azam Shah is situated in Narayanganj District of Bangladesh.

Taksal Poddar Bari

Poddar Bari (Panam Raj Bari) is situated in eastern side to the panam city, Narayanganj, Bangladesh.

Tomb of Haji Baba Saleh

Baba Saleh Mosque (1481 AD). This is one of the archaeological sites in Bangladesh listed by Department of Archaeology of Bangladesh.

Sonakanda Fort

Sonakanda Fort a Mughal river-fort located on the eastern bank of the shitalakshya at Bandar, almost opposite hajiganj fort in Narayanganj district. On stylistic similarities with other Mughal river-forts in and around Dhaka it is datable to the mid-17th century.

Hajiganj Fort

Hajiganj Fort situated on the western bank of the Sitalakshya River at Hajiganj in Narayanganj. This Mughal fort was probably established during the time of mir jumla to counter the raids of the Maghs and the Portuguese. This is one of the archaeological sites in Bangladesh listed by Department of Archaeology of Bangladesh.

Palace of Murapara

Murapara Palace, also known as “Murapara Jomidar Bari” is located at the Rupganj of Narayanganj. It was built in 1909 by Zaminder Jagadish Chabndra Banerjee.

Idrakpur Fort

Idrakpur Fort was built in 1660 A.D. on the bank of the river Ichhamati during the Mughal rule. Situated at Munshiganj. The present Munshigonj town including the outlying areas was known as Idrakpur which was named after the then Mughal faujdar Idrak. It was intended to counter the advances of the ‘magh’ and ‘portuguese’ raiders by water.

Baba Adam Mosque

This six domed mosque was built by the great Malik Kafur during the reign of Sultan Jalaluddin Fatah Shah in or around 1483 A.D. Baba Adam’s Mosque is now a protected monument under the Department of Archaeology, Bangladesh.

Binat Bibi Mosque

This pre-Mughal building is the oldest mosque built in Dhaka. According to an inscription, Bakht Binat, daughter of Marhamat, built it 15th Century dated in 1454 during the rule of Sultan Mahmud Shah I.

Wari-Bateshwar

The Wari-Bateshwar region in Narsingdi, Bangladesh is the site of an ancient fort city dating back to 450 BCE. The 2500-year old ruins being unearthed near the old course of the Brahmaputra River are a major archaeological discovery in South Asia. It challenges the earlier notions of early urban civilization in Bengal.

The site is about 75km from Dhaka situated near the Wari and Bateshwar villages in the Belabo Upazila of Narsingdi District.

It was discovered in the 1933 by a local school teacher, Hanif Pathan. However, formal excavation started only recently in 2000. The current scientific study is being carried out by a team from the Archaeology Department of Jahangirnagar University led by Professor Sufi Mostafizur Rahman. Prof. Rahman believes that Wari-Bateshwar is the rich, well planned, ancient emporium (a commercial city) “Sounagora” mentioned by Greek geographer, astronomer, mathematician Ptolemy in his book Geographia. The other emporia mentioned in Ptolemy’s work include Arikamedu of India, Mantai of Sri Lanka, Kion Thom of Thailand. All of these were the most ancient civilizations in their respective regions, each was a river port, and all of them produced monochrome glass beads. The artifacts found at Wari-Bateshwar bear similarity with those found in the other emporia sites.

According to researchers, the discovery of rouletted ware, knobbed ware, stone beads, sandwiched glass beads, gold-foil glass beads, Indo-Pacific monochrome glass beads and importantly its geographical location indicates to Southeast Asiatic and Roman contacts.

Excavation also unearthed the presence of pit-dwelling. The discovery of a pit-dwelling is the first of its kind in Bangladesh. People used to live in these small ditches. The pit-dwelling is a Copper Age or Chalcolithic artifact. Similar pit-dwellings have been found in India and Pakistan which are believed to be 4000 years old. The unearthing of a 180-meter long, six-meter wide and 21-35cm thick road with a by-lane points to very early urbanization in this area. Before the discovery of this, the widely held view was that urbanization occurred later than what Wari-Bateshwar ruins indicate.

Silver punch-marked coins, different types of earthen pots, rouletted ware, knobbed ware, northern black Polish ware, black-slipped ware, common ceramics, semi-precious stone beads. Iron artifacts include blooms, hand-axes, spearheads, knives, nails and slugs, melted pieces of iron. It is also suspected that it might be the oldest place in the world which have a money based currency system.

Bikrampur Vihara

Bikrampur Vihara is an ancient Buddhist ‘Vihara’ (monastery) at Raghurampur village in Bikrampur region of Munshiganj District. The monastery is located at Raghurampur village under Rampal Upazila of Munshiganj District.

The discovery was declared at 23 March 2013 after four years of excavation conducted jointly by Agrasar Bikrampur Foundation, a local socio-cultural organization, and Archaeology Department of Jahangirnagar University. The excavation was financed by Bangladesh’s Ministry of Cultural Affairs.

On 23 March 2013, Director of the Archaeological Excavation and Research in Bikrampur region, declared the discovery of this 1000 years old Buddhist Vihara. Over 100 precious idols and sculptures have been found till March, 2013.

The Vihara is one of the 30 monasteries built by Emperor Dharmapala during his regime around 820 A.D., second king of Pala dynasty and related to Atish Dipankar Srigyan, a child prodigy like Gautama Buddha.

It is said that, during the period and Atish, this region was the center of Buddhist education and some 8,000 students and professors came to the Buddhism education centre in Bikrampur from as far as China, Tibet, Nepal and Thailand.